Sunday, September 20, 2009

August 21, 2009 - Picking Up EM's First Set of Hearing Aids

Wow a week goes by quickly. It is time to get Ella Marie's hearing aids. We met with Suzanne, Ella Marie's audiologist. She was very nice and she provided us with a lot of information about hearing aids in general. She gave us hearing aids and a packet of materials to take care of her aids. Here were a few pieces of information that Suzanne provided for us.

1. Ella Marie should be wearing her hearing aids during all waking hours. She said that she knows that they will squeal and we will not always be happy with them in, but we need to give Ella Marie every opportunity to wear them so she can possibly hear something.

2. At night the hearing aids do not go in their carry case. There is a special box to put them in. You must take the batteries out nightly before putting them in the box.

3. Once a month the hearing aid can be cleaned by placing the earmold in a cup of water with an alkaseltzer tablet. You can also use dish soap or a mild soap to clean it. You can use alcohol on the aid itself to clean it. We were also given a special thing to use to help clean out the earmold.

4. You should always carry an extra set of batteries around with you. One good idea is to place a sticker in your calender to show where and when you changed Ella Marie's battery out.

5. You should do a battery check and listen to your aids daily.

6. Do not leave the hearing aids sitting out. Dogs are very interested in them. The batteries are extremely toxic so we don't want the Ella Marie or Charlie to get them.

Tonight after getting back from a long travel day, we rode in the Killen Founders Day Parade. Her daddy is running for State Senate this year. The parade was a lot of fun. We ran out of candy before we ever finished the parade.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I don't know if you remember me or not but I am Marianne Hernandez Livingston. I married Ryan Livingston. We live in Birmingham now about two minutes from Children's Hospital South. I have been keeping up with Ella Marie through Regina. I wanted to let you know that you are welcome at our home any time you are in Birmingham. We love to have over night guest. We have three kids and know how hard it can be to travel. Our youngest, Sydney was born Jan. 2009. We would love to help in any way possible. My email is mariannehdz@aol.com if you need to get in touch with me. Your blog has been very inspiring! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so how are the aids doing and that little darlin' wearing them? Maybe I'll run into to you one day either at the clinic or ENT's office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is doing great. She has not been pulling them off at all. Yes hopefully I will run into you. I am working on getting the blog caught up. I have had so much going on that I have not gotten everything documented yet, but very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marianne, I might do that sometime. Of course I remember you. Tell Ryan hello. I look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete